You are here: Home > Departments > Law
Richard A. Pignatiello - Law Director
Patrick DiChiro - Assistant Law Director/Prosecutor
Christine Tobin - Assistant Law Director
Teri Matson - Secretary
Direct Line: 216-525-6237
Fax Line: 216-525-6256
City Hall: 216-524-4421 #237
Summary of Law Department Functions
The Law Department is dedicated to the protection of the legal interests of the City of Seven Hills so that the Mayor, Council, and all Departments can most fully serve our citizens. The Law Department of the City of Seven Hills, under the direction of Law Director Richard Pignatiello, functions as the attorneys for the City of Seven Hills and its officials by providing legal advice to the Mayor, City Council and all of the various departments. The Law Department reviews legislation, contracts and all legal documents to ensure all business of the City is conducted in a proper and legal manner, and represents the City in all proceedings before any court of law or administrative body.
While criminal/traffic cases are initiated by the Police Department, the Assistant Law Director/ Prosecutor pursues prosecution on behalf of the City of Seven Hills. The Assistant Law Director/Prosecutor also provides legal opinions, advice and support to the Police Department.
Law Department Duties and Responsibilities
- Works with the Mayor, City Council and the Administration to ensure enforcement of the Codified Ordinances and Charter of the City of Seven Hills.
- Prepares and reviews ordinances and resolutions for passage by City Council
- Attends Council, Planning Commission, Zoning Board of Appeals and other miscellaneous meetings.
- Provides legal opinions and advice to Council, Mayor, and Administration
- Supports the Police Department as legal adviser on all matters pertaining to law enforcement
- Prosecutes all criminal and traffic matters on behalf of the City
- Provides legal representation on behalf of the City on litigation matters before the Municipal, Common Pleas, Appellate Courts, and various administrative agencies
- Reviews all contracts for necessary services and supplies and other miscellaneous contracts involving the City
- Assists the City's Building Department on land use issues including inspections, code violations, and vacant property concerns
- Represents the City in labor disputes including grievances, unfair labor practices, mediations, and hearings
- Provides guidance to residents on legal concerns involving the City
- Assists the City in collective bargaining unit recognition and in negotiating union contracts
- Provides City officials and employees with legal updates on matters of importance
Role and Responsibilities of the City Prosecutor
- The City Prosecutor is responsible for the prosecution of misdemeanor crimes and traffic violations that occur within the borders of the City of Seven Hills. The most common types of crimes and traffic violations that confront the City Prosecutor are Driving Under the Influence (DUI), Driving Under a Suspended License (DUS), Domestic Violence, Theft, and Moving Traffic violations.
- Occasionally, the Prosecutor is requested to assist the police with reviewing unique factual patterns to determine whether criminal charges should be filed.
- The City of Seven Hills Mayor Court is usually set for every other Tuesday afternoon at 4:00PM.
- The City Prosecutor practices simple "open discovery". Lawyers for those accused of traffic offenses and crimes may send a simple one page discovery letter to the fax number of the Law Department. Those sending such requests will be faxed a copy of the incident police report and other supporting documents that can be used as an aid to either resolving the case or preparing for trial.
- All persons who are charged with a DUI, DUS or serious misdemeanor crime are strongly encouraged to retain the assistance of a lawyer who is experience with municipal criminal/traffic law and procedures.